What is Good Quality Entertainment?
Recently, in a meeting with a prospective client, I was asked a question that I’ve heard all too many times… “What is good quality wedding entertainment?” The most qualified person I could think of to give a proper answer to this question is my good friend, Peter Merry. Peter wrote the book on Wedding Entertainment… literally! The following is an excerpt from his book, The Best Wedding Reception… EVER!
“Popular wedding magazines, books, and TV shows will never give you advice on how to hire “film,” because wedding photographers are already recognized as professionals and artists with unique talents, skills, and personal styles. Yet those same bridal information resources are constantly offering tips on how to hire “music” for your reception. Like “film” to a photographer, “music” is a tool and only a part of the whole suite of services that professional wedding entertainers regularly provide. If “music” were all that you needed to create an entertaining reception, the result would simply be an extended cocktail hour.
This is what good quality wedding entertainment should be:
- The entertainment at a wedding (whether you choose a DJ or a band) also typically serves as a master of ceremonies by announcing the formalities in an appropriate manner.
- The entertainment will help you plan the agenda to ensure proper pacing needed to prevent your guests from becoming bored.
- The entertainment should communicate with you, your parents, your wedding party members, and other vendors behind the scenes in an ongoing manner, keeping your reception agenda on track and flowing smoothly.
- The entertainment should brainstorm in advance with you to develop personalized moments that will leave your guests with lasting memories of your unforgettable celebration.
- Quality entertainment requires professionalism, artistry, and unique talent and skill. Don’t be fooled into thinking that someone who will “just push play” on a CD deck, playing the same set of songs they play every week, can make your reception fun and entertaining.”